Chromotherapy also known as Color Therapy is an ancient form of healing. It uses a combination of light and colour to treat physical and mental ailments. This therapy can be used for treating illnesses and disorders, alleviating pain, addressing emotional and mental conditions, and generally maintaining good health.
Different colors affect us in different ways and the longer the wavelength of light the deeper it can come through the skin.
The following describes how each color can help us.
Red is believed to increase the pulse, raise blood pressure and increase the rate of breathing. Red can be used to support circulatory and nervous functions.
As we know, orange is a mixture of red and yellow and it activates and eliminates localized fat. It may also assists with asthma and bronchitis
Yellow is the brightest color used in chromotherapy and it has many uses. It has been used to purify the skin, help with indigestion, strengthen the nervous system, treat glandular diseases, hepatitis and lymphatic disorders and assist metabolism.
Green is associated with harmony, providing a neutral, positive calming effect.
Blue, promotes relaxation and calm. Blue exhibits tranquilizing qualities often used to relieve headaches and migraines, colds, stress, nervous tension, rheumatism, stomach pains, muscle cramps and liver disorders. Blue is thought to have a positive effect on all kinds of pain.
Indigo is used to address conditions involving the eyes, ears and nose and it has a calming, sedative effect.
Violet is used to calm the nervous system, soothe organs and relax muscles. Violet has meditative qualities and is often used to treat conditions of the lymphatic system and spleen, as well as urinary disorders and psychosis.
Light is considered to be one of the purest healing forces in the universe. We’ve listed a few of the various benefits that come from using colour therapy below:
- Reduce Inflammation
- It is applied to swollen or inflamed areas that can help soothe and catalyze healing.
- Pain Relief
- This kind of therapy reduces swelling, muscle tension, and other symptoms associated with chronic pain.
- Accelerated Healing
- It accelerates the body’s repair functions. LED light therapy has already been used to heal post-surgical scars, burns, wounds, and more.
- Range of Motion
- It can help lubricate joints and relax surrounding muscles. This helps to increase range of motion, leading to improved flexibility and injury prevention.
- Decreased Muscle Tension
- Experiencing tight, tense muscle areas after a workout or if it’s a symptom of chronic pain, color light therapy can help to dissolve knots. In combination with reducing stress, this can really help open up the body to its ability to naturally heal itself.
- Every color vibrates at a different frequency and certain colors can affect our body’s circulatory system.
- Chromotherapy used correctly in a sauna, which also helps circulation, can help lower blood pressure and regulate one of your body’s fundamental systems.
- On the spectrum, different colors elicit different feelings or responses. Light stimulates the endocrine system, helping to regulate hormone imbalances, help with seasonal changes, and even assist in minimizing depression.
- Improved Sleep
- As color light therapy regulates mood and helps muscles relax, especially when used in a sauna, this can lead to improved sleep. For people suffering from insomnia, this might be something to try.
- Relief of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
- Alleviate the symptoms of SAD by using light to stimulate your body’s internal clock. SAD is triggered by winter when there are shorter days and a lack of sun. Color light therapy is like the sun, never letting your body grow accustomed to the harsh winter and handling the effects of seasonal affective disorder.
- Anti-Aging Benefits
- It is a growing treatment for anti-aging. This therapy energizes skin cells, stimulating the production of collagen and elastin, giving skin back its youthful look.
If given the opportunity why not give chromotherapy a try and see for yourself it’s benefits.