What is a Mantra?
In the world of meditation and spiritual healing, mantra holds special importance. It is composed of two Sanskrit words, “Mana” meaning “Mind”, and “Tra” meaning “tool” which means that mantra is a “tool for the mind”. It is true, for mantras simply consists of either a group of words or a special chanting phrase that is supposed to help you concentrate on your spiritual healing and meditation practices.
The mantras stimulate a vibrational energy and that energy resonates through the mind of all the participants in the meditation, silencing the world around them and allowing them to focus better on the present.
Mantras not only help you in finding your focus during meditation, but they also help in driving away all those negative, depressing, and toxic thoughts that may otherwise interfere in your meditation.
However, it must be kept in mind that to make full use of the power of mantras, full faith and devotion are also required before chanting them. Only then can one make use of their brilliant powers and tune-in with a full concentration towards their meditative practices.
What Is Mantra Meditation?
In simple words, “Mantra Meditation” is a form of meditation in which mantras are used as powerful tools of focus.
Mantra meditation is a means of silencing the environment using a sound or a word as your tool, and uttering it either silently or loudly to maintain focus during meditation. Sometimes during a Mantra Meditation, the Mantra is used by all the participants present in the meditation practice, at other times, it is simply uttered by the person leading the practice. During mantra meditation, the mantra works like an arrow with its target being the alteration of consciousness of a person.
All the people who have been exposed to this form of meditation have all appreciated the results that they experienced themselves, as they were able to concentrate more on their present and serene state of the mind, instead of the other troubling, worldly thoughts.
The Science Behind Mantras & Mantra Meditation
A lot of research was done to unravel the mystery behind these amazing and wonderful words that seem to hold a magical edge to them.
We all know that there are many different types of mantras. These mantras are said to belong to particular ideologies/energies of mankind, with each one of them eliciting or stimulating particular energy in a human being. This stimulation is very necessary to bring the mind into a state of mindfulness and full attentiveness because without this, there is no purpose of meditating at all.
The science behind mantras is very easy to understand. It could be thought of it in this way, that when the brain keeps on hearing the same kind of voices or sounds repeatedly, it soon grows used to it, and almost starts ignoring them after some time. This is not the case with mantra meditation. And you know why? It is so because when you are reciting a mantra over and over again, you are doing so with full focus, and intention of achieving something better out of it, and so it is what happens as a result.
Along with all of this, if mantras are also given the importance of being understood properly, not only in terms of their meaning but also in terms of their historical background, can help a person even more in achieving their target from a better perspective.
What Are The Benefits of Mantra Meditation?
Mantra meditation has benefits that are far beyond the understanding of a common man. We have enlisted a few important ones:
- Mantra meditation replaces your jumbled thoughts with pure and calm ones. It gives you the sense that everyone along with you is on the same page for once, and that is a boost in itself.
- Mantras are a journey in themselves. Chanting mantras set up a relaxing, soothing environment that at once takes you along with it far from the present angry and frustrated world.
- The sounds of the mantra being chanted give you time to reflect and focus on your present, and brings your mind in a state of intellectual thinking that (although, temporarily), changes your thought process for the better.
So, it is a definite recommendation for all the troubled, anxious, and worried souls to give Mantra Meditation a try, as it will be worth it – always!
- Dudeja, Jai. (2017). Scientific Analysis of Mantra-Based Meditation and its Beneficial Effects: An Overview. International Journal of Advanced Scientific Technologies in Engineering and Management Sciences. 3. 21. 10.22413/ijastems/2017/v3/i6/49101.
- Robert E Herron, Ph.D., MBA, Brian Rees, M.D., MPH, MC, USAR (Ret.), The Transcendental Meditation Program’s Impact on the Symptoms of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder of Veterans: An Uncontrolled Pilot Study, Military Medicine, Volume 183, Issue 1-2, January-February 2018, Pages e144–e150, https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usx059